Built in the Ottoman style,
by Egypt's first modernising ruler, Mohamed Ali in 1830, this large mosque
has an imposing location on the Citadel overlooking Cairo. Its alternative
name is the Alabaster Mosque because of its appearance.
Above its outer courtyard is an ornate clock donated by the French, in
exchange for the Obelisk that now stands in the Place de la Concorde,
Paris. Unfortunately, the clock has never worked!
To comply with religious beliefs, visitors must remove their shoes before
entering the main hall of the mosque and any female considered to be over-exposed
(eg showing knees or shoulders) will be loaned an over-dress to cover
A huge ablution fountain dominates the